How to build Venice
Building dwellings on solid land is easy. But to construct a settlement on water requires a few cunning tricks.
In the following I will show you how it works. I am using my Magnificent Building scenario as a starting point.
- 1. Pick an appropriate harbour area or, if necessary, expand your influence area to include the new harbour area.
- 2. Build a Venetian marketplace.
- 3. Pick a placeholder (which are dummies for objects to be built later) and "plant" them where you want your houses to stand later.
- 4. Ignore the messages on the left and the symbols hovering over the placeholders. Nothing will happen.
- 5. Change over to the roads tab and build a dirt road around the placeholders.
- 6. Check whether everything is fine by picking the delete tool.
- 7. Move back to the Venetian buildings tab and pick stairways and bridges.
- 8. I am building the bridge exactly where I want it to be, between the roads. Then I pick the stone quay wall.
- 9. Now I am building the quay walls around the placeholders and on top of the roads. I'll pass on completing the quay wall at this time. ;-)
- 10. Now build the remaining objects and link them to the roads.
- 11. Demolish the placeholders.
- 12. Pick houses for the water and build them, replacing the placeholders.
- 13. Done...miniature Venice! It is a tad more tricky than building quay walls but a true construction artist will not be intimidated by that. Right?